Friday, October 9, 2015

Trying to keep up

Life can get very busy sometimes. There are weeks when I don't get to spend a lot of time with my kids due to work (job and university). My oldest son, Aaron, had been asking for us to have a fun day. Sunday (10/6/15) was the only day of the week that we got to spend the whole day together. We began by going out for breakfast. After breakfast, Aaron chose an activity for us to do. He asked for us to visit Color Me Mine. This was the second time that we visited Color Me Mind. The first time both boys painted a shark. On this visit they chose different items. We enjoyed our time together. Aaron and I talked about school and other stuff. He began middle school this year. There is more to talk about now, than when he was in elementary. The youngest, Max, was thrilled to play with paint. So, now it was Max's turn to choose an activity for us to do. He chose to go to Chuck E Cheese. We ended the day with dinner and a movie at home. At the end, Aaron thanked me for spending time with them. It made me happy to spend the day with my boys. I felt much better. No longer overwhelmed. So, now I can get back to my learning something. Drawing is very fun and relaxing. Aaron decided to also pick up drawing. Below you will see a picture of him with his sketchbook and his Donald Duck drawing. He told me that his drawing turned out better than mine :) He is very competitive. I love my boys.
 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That day sounds wonderful. I love imagining you sitting there at the table with them, chatting and drawing. What a powerful decision to focus on your boys for the day. It is evident that this is the norm for you because they easily talk and share about their lives with you. As a fellow mom I think it is easy to beat ourselves up about whether we are or are not doing a good job. This blog is making me think about how I might benefit from remembering the good times instead of focusing on the business. You're doing a good job, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you got to have such a fun day with your boys! I also think it's great that your oldest son is taking on this Learn Something with you!

    I actually grew up with parents that were both in college. I can understand the frustration that your kids are feeling but let me tell you, when my mom finished her Master's program, I had such a sense of pride in her! I know your kids see how hard you are working and they will feel the same way! Those special days together will make things a bit better and I"m sure will help ground you a little bit also. Those are very luck boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are your goals as you continue to develop your drawing skills? For example, some people like to draw abstract things versus others who like things that reflect reality a bit more. What kind of things do you like to draw? It seems like disney cartoon characters haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not given much thought. Currently just drawing cartoon characters.

      Delete
  4. Its so important to have those that you get to reconnect with home. I'm glad you has such a fun day. I'm finding it more and more challenging to find the balance. Thank you for sharing such a positive experience. And the drawing came out great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anahi, It seems like you are doing a great job of balancing it all! Being able to spend some quality time with your loved ones is so important, but often put aside. It seems like you all had a fantastic day! Also, I love that your son picked it up with you. That is pretty great to have a common learning goal!

    ReplyDelete